There are many hassle-free blog services that will take care of everything except blogging for you – like Blogger and WordPress.com, but nothing can beat a self-hosted blog in the terms of customization and self pride. Its easy to open a free account at WordPress.com and be blogger in 5 minutes, but there are several important advantages of installing WordPress in your own hosting account with your own domain name. And its really easy to do!
WordPress values the ease of installation and development, and its friendly to search engines, as it was developed based on some SEO concepts. Read More
Register Your Own Domain Name
The first step is to head over to your favorite registrar and buy a domain name for your WordPress blog. I have used and recommended BigRock for years, but there are numerous registrars to choose from. Just do a search on Google for domain registration.
Getting a Free Domain Name
You should not expect to be able to get a dot com or any other popular extensions like org, net, name or tv. For this experimental purposes, I will go with a less popular but free alternative.
The free service that I always use for free domain names is. Visit the website and see for the availability of your own domain name. I’ve registered for this article.
Find a Web Hosting
Once you have registered domain name for your blog, the next step is to sign up for a web hosting plan. You can go with any web hosting company. Some of the best web hosting providers are GoDaddy, Hostgator and BlueHost.
Getting a Free Web Hosting
I recommend 000webhost which provides free web hosting without ads. You will not get premium features, but 1.5GB of disk space and 100GB of data traffic per month should be sufficient for this demo.
You need to set the DNS information in your DOT TK control panel.
- Name server 1: ns01.000webhost.com
- Name server 2: ns02.000webhost.com
After the web hosting and the DNS settings are active, we can log in to the 000webhost cPanel to install WordPress. You can log in using your email address and password.
- In the cPanel, Go to MySQL and create a new database.
4. Rename the “wp-config-sample.php” file to “wp-config.php” and open in text editor. Fill the database information you just created under your web hosting.
5. Now go to your web hosting account and select file manager. Go to public_html folder and delete everything. You can also use File Zilla FTP Client to perform file operations. You can Find FTP details under the cPanel of your web hosting.
6. Upload all the WordPress files in the public_html folder and access your domain. I have registered setupablog.tk, then I will open http://setupablog.tk in browser.
7. On the next screen, select your language and fill the blog details i.e. blog name, username, password, etc and click on Install WordPress.
You are done! Now you have a WordPress blog ready and waiting for you to write your first blog post. Type your blog URL in your web browser and you will see it.
Go into your WordPress control panel by typing www.yourdomain.com/wp-admin/ in your web browser and enter your user name and password.
Customization and Recommendation
You can customize your WordPress installation by replacing the default theme for another of your choice, and / or change some of the settings in the control panel. I will not go into detail here because discussing that topic will require another three or four more articles.
Keep in mind that the free domain name and free hosting service will only go that far as an experiment tool. If you want to do this seriously, you have to go with the paid service as they will provide you with more necessary tools and system resources.